Erie-Gains: Get Involved in the Community and Classroom
Erie-GAINS hosts a number of engagement opportunities for employees and students.
Erie-GAINS is hosting a number of opportunities around AmeriCorp VISTA for students, faculty service learning socials, Erie-GAINS mini-grants for employees and students, volunteer opportunities at Strong Vincent Middle School’s virtual after-school programming, and 2021-22 Virtual Engage Scholarship Initiative Cohort nominations. Learn more about opportunities you can get involved in below.
Gannon Seniors and Juniors
- It’s not too soon to think about post-graduation plans. Hear a panel of AmeriCorps VISTAs discuss what it means to be a VISTA and to spend a year in service with AmeriCorps. This one-year commitment provides a living allowance, professional development, options for repaying qualified student loans or future tuition payments and loan deferment and interest forebearance. The Zoom webinar will take place on Tuesday, Mon., March 22, 6-7 pm https://gannon.zoom.us/s/88314137532
- Join Erie-GAINS for its third Service-Learning Social from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. on March 26. We will have special guests from our strategic community partners. You can learn about service-learning and how you can integrate it into your courses. Questions, contact Daniel Salamone at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Erie-GAINS Mini-Grants for faculty, staff and students
- All faculty, staff, and students are eligible to apply for an Erie-GAINS Mini-Grant. Grants are intended to provide an opportunity to engage in a mutually beneficial community engagement opportunity with a community partner(s). Prioritized projects should benefit residents within the defined Erie-GAINS geographic area; and, support a goal in at least one of the five focus areas: Education, Health & Wellness, Business & Economy, Environmental Sustainability and Quality of Life. For more information, contact Erika Ramalho at email@example.com or apply online here.
Volunteer Opportunity: SVMS Community School virtual after-school programming
- Strong Vincent Middle School’s virtual after-school program is seeking volunteers for after-school virtual programming in May/June. Commitment includes 1 hour per week for 4 weeks from 3:30-4:30. Volunteer clearances are required. For more information contact Caroline DiPlacido, firstname.lastname@example.org or Kaitlyn Falk, email@example.com.
2021-2022 Virtual Engaged Scholarship Initiative Cohort Nominations
- As active members of Campus Compact, Gannon University has the opportunity to nominate individuals to participate in the 2021-2022 Virtual Engaged Scholars Initiative cohort. The Engaged Scholars Initiative (ESI) is designed to develop a diverse group of early-career faculty and staff who can strengthen their own critical community-engaged scholarship and lead equity-focused change with their institution and communities. The 2021-2022 cohort will be consist of 20 individuals from Campus Compact member institutions across the country who will meeting virtually over the course of a year. The gatherings will include 3-4 virtual retreats, monthly virtual meetings, mentorship opportunities, scholarly projects, etc. All gatherings for this cohort will be held virtually. If you are interested or have any questions, please reach out to Daniel Salamone at Salamone002@gannon.edu