Answer Your Call to Faith and Service with a Theology Degree from Gannon University
Theology is rooted in human reflection and investigation oriented toward the mystery of who God is. Through Gannon’s theology program, you can uncover truths about God, creation and humanity and appreciate global religious diversity. The program integrates
both faith and reason so you can develop critical thinking skills by engaging in the Catholic Intellectual Tradition and fulfill your own spiritual calling.
- Engage in independent research and service learning opportunities.
- Pursue a double major or minor through convenient curriculum flexibility.
- Learn from faculty who are theological scholars in their field.
Learn to Lead the Way in Theology
- Critically engage in the relationship between faith and reason.
- Understand the fundamental principles of biblical interpretation and how to articulate the Christian faith.
- Appreciate the breadth and beauty of Christianity as it is brought to expression through liturgy and worship, moral and theological investigation, and the Catholic Intellectual Tradition.
Experience an Exceptional Learning Environment
- Engage with exceptional faculty and notable theological scholars from across the country.
- Pursue integrative research and collaborative opportunities across disciplines.
- Explore and deepen your own faith through engaging in program curriculum and research.
Inspire Your Academic Success
Gain real-world knowledge through key courses including:
Theology of Marriage: Study the Judeo-Christian understanding of marriage through a biblical, theological and canonical lens. Topics include defining marriage, God and marriage, marriage preparation, and contemporary marital issues.
Theology and Cyberspace: Explore the moral and ethical dimensions of digital technologies that mediate between people and the external world from within the Christian theological tradition.
Race and Theology: Examine the intersections between Christian theology and race, as well as Christianity’s role in creating the modern concept of race; Study historical uses of Christian theology and recent attempts by theologians to reclaim and reinterpret race-based concepts within constructive theological discourse
Achieve Your Possibilities
Gannon’s theology program will lead you on an impactful journey by exploring spirituality, academic theology and critical thinking as you discern your life’s purpose and prepare for a career. Through an array of meaningful opportunities, you can:
- Secure internships and service opportunities with educational institutions, church ministries and religious and nonprofit organizations.
- Develop essential skills in creative thinking, rigorous investigation and ethical engagement with the world to pursue fulfilling careers in education, ministry, research and writing, as well as community organization.
- Better understand the complexities of a diverse world and appreciate the importance of dialogue and collaboration.