Shape the Future of Educational Learning with a Secondary Education Degree from Gannon University
Outstanding teachers are themselves products of an outstanding education. They come from a program that rewards academic achievement, emphasizes the importance of each student as an individual, and is grounded in a mastery of the theories of learning and teaching. Become a positive force of educational change and impact in your community when you earn your secondary education degree from Gannon University
- Gain valuable field experience beginning in your first semester.
- Approved by the PA Department of Education.
- Learn from faculty who are experienced content area teachers, and from adjuncts who are teachers or administrators in secondary schools.
Learn to Lead the Way in Secondary Education
- Prepare for Pennsylvania Level I teacher certification in grades 7-12 in four content areas: biology, English, mathematics and social studies, and earn a BA or a BS degree in your content area.
- Access opportunities to teach in more than 40 states through the Pennsylvania Department of Education’s reciprocity agreements.
- Gain expertise in teaching strategies, performance and professionalism.
- Gain valuable, practical experiences in urban, suburban and rural classrooms.
Experience an Exceptional Learning Environment
- Pursue scholarship-supported learning abroad opportunities in Limerick, Ireland and Rome, Italy.
- Participate in three 60-hour field experiences, a variety of six- to 15-hour experiences and a full semester of student teaching.
- Pursue field experiences in alternative and private education facilities, charter schools, Erie Roman Catholic diocesan schools or public school districts.
- Put educational theories learned in the classroom into action for the benefit of adolescent learners.
Inspire Your Academic Success
Gain real-world knowledge through key courses including:
Instructional Design and the Secondary Education Classroom: Create and manage instruction in the learning environment and develop standards-based lessons and instruction. Includes a 60-hour field experience.
Assessment and Evaluation: Investigate traditional and alternative assessments in the context of classroom instruction, meeting the needs of diverse learners, measurement principles and national, state and local standards. Includes a
60-hour field experience.
Professional Seminar: Prepare and present your professional portfolio, hone your interviewing skills and complete necessary certification and job applications.
Achieve Your Possibilities
Our secondary education program is designed for your success. Through curriculum flexibility and high-quality educational opportunities, you can:
- Earn your certification in secondary education grades 7-12, which can lead to an array of exciting careers including museum archivist, educational tour guide or travel specialist; school counselor, principal or superintendent; or reading, mathematics
or English as a Second Language specialist and more.
- Earn an annual media wage of $62,870, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.