Cooperative Education Internships

  • Learn while you work, work while you learn

    Sometimes, the best way that colleges and universities can prepare student for jobs after graduation is through jobs before graduation. Co-ops and internships can do this.

    Cooperative Education, commonly known as co-op, and internships are opportunities help you gain work experience in or related to your major at local employers.

    Co-ops and internships provide an opportunity to:

    • gain experience in your field,
    • increase your job marketability,
    • develop the knowledge, key competencies, and work characteristics that employers are seeking,
    • establish a network of professional contacts, mentors, and references.

    Where can I receive a placement?

    Most placements are within in the area near Gannon, but Gannon students have completed co-ops and internships in California, Connecticut, Illinois, Massachusetts, New York, Texas, and West Virginia. If you are interested in a summer placement in your hometown during the summer the Center for Experiential Education staff will assist you.

    What do I need to be eligible for a co-op or internship?

    • 30 credits completed at Gannon
    • A QPA of 2.5 or greater
    • Good standing in the University
    • Completion of the Co-op Seminar (1 credit)

    Will I be compensated?

    During the 2007-2008 academic year, approximately 75% of the co-op/internship placements were compensated.

    Can I obtain academic credit for my placement?

    Yes, with the approval of your faculty advisor.